Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Kingston Duathlon Race Report

Kingston Duathlon Race Report
This was a tough day from the beginning. Adversity challenged my coping mechanisms.
The original plan was to participate in the Long Course Triathlon (2k swim, 55k bike, 15k run), but this was not to be after 2 mishaps directly before the cannon firing.
Asking a volunteer to zip up my wetsuit zipper up my back ended with the zipper detaching. Then I attempted to jump in and swim without a wetsuit, but my goggles malfunctioned twice (seal broken). The enormous crowd perched along the pier must have wondered what was going on, but I just laughed and asked one of them to point me in the direction of the closest Irish Pub (@ 8:03 am). I then found Rob, the Race Director. He helped me enter in the Short-course Duathlon (4k run, 30k bike, 7.5k run) that would start in 50 minutes. My timing chip (www.sportstats.ca) needed to be reset along with my number.
I was excited to test my running legs after only a bit of training in this area. I was totally happy to lead the first run and arrive in transition over 30 seconds ahead of my competitors. Several mishaps occured in this race, especially in transition: insoles had to be carefully reinserted in running shoes to avoid blisters (+30s), cycling shoes were very slow to put on (slippery dials) and remove (no velcro = no bike mounting +30s) and I was running with an akward bottle for the long-course and annoying visor (discarded them = detour +15s).
On the bike my back cramped and almost spasmed immediately (5k). I did not feel I could push the pace for longer them a minute at a time; Powertap file is erradic. Part of this is the back, the other is I have been pushing 1-3 minutes an effort on my cycling interval workouts hitting some large torque and power values for my curriculum application (Professional Fitness Trainer Lab) to demonstrate the value of strength training for my students. I need to get a couple time trials in to prep for sustained moderate power for the Provincial DU champs (Cobourg 08/13). Aerobars are severely needed (with aero post and seat) to alleviate pressure on hips/back and save me several minutes of wind resistance drag on the bike portions (+2-3m).
Two competitors passed me on the bike, so I did my best to pull up in the second run. I experienced a bit of a struggle for the first mile, but at 2k I was flying again and quickly passed one of the elite athletes, pulling into 2nd. I lost 5 minutes to Harold Walker on the bike, so this was not to be today. I ended up almost 3.5 minutes behind at the finish, so my 2nd run was not bad (took a minute back from him).
Critique to enhance preparation for Cobourg:
  1. Aero position: worth a few minutes and a lot less pain!
  2. Tri-bike shoes: worth a half a minute and no fumbling around!
  3. Glued-in running shoe insoles: worth a half a minute and less fumbling around!
  4. New superlight hat (you have to see this!): ditch the visor!
  5. No bottle: use aid stations for cooling sponges and drinking cups (water, energy drink)!

Positive Highlights:

  1. Won $100 in the Elite Duathlon race!
  2. Confidence secured. Easy mistakes, but very focused and strong mentality.
  3. Overcame adversity from original plan of competing in the Long-course Triathlon.
  4. Emotional Imagery from standing on podium will help me dig deep ahead.
  5. Curriculum application for my Professional Fitness Consultant program.

No comments:

Post a Comment