Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Ironman Finisher

OVERALL EXPERIENCE

5th place overall, one minute off 3rd place, almost caught the lead group starting the run in about 15th. Finished in 10h, 50 minutes on the branded "Tougher Than Iron" triathlon (allegedly tougher course than any Ironman branded course) - extremely hilly and windy, bike and run, but it was cool; loved it!!

Exciting and emotional all the way! Even exciting the first lap (half way) of the swim I was so happy to see 32 minutes on the clock and then finishing it in 1h4min (16th). Chad Tranter (my cousin) was 6th in 58 minutes!! Ewan was only 40 seconds behind me.

I finally caught Chad at the end of the 2nd lap of the bike (115k) and was starting to feel the lack of training. Chad and I spent 5 minutes at the Special Needs Station (food bags and support with all of our cheerleaders). I was joking, barely able to stand "I feel like I am 99 years old".

Chad pulled me psychologically through a really tough spot at 150-165k, just like our first Stony Triathlon together (at 12 yrs old), then I told Chad to go ahead because we got passed by 2 people. He did and then I dug REALLY deep to close the gap, he couldn't believe it!

Chad, Ewan (Chad's friend) and I started the run just over 7 hours into the race, changing tents, honey sandwiches consumed and had difficulty moving forward (had major lower back tightness).

WHERE the RACE began

Ewan battled it out with Chad and I until the beginning of the run (all 3 of us even!).
I had a brutal start to the run for 3 miles shuffling, Chad was leading, then Ewan, then me.
I passed Chad at mile 4 and Ewan was flying, caught him at 8-9 miles and surged passed him.
Ewan held strong right to the end, only 5 minutes behind me.

Wil and Judy were great helping to provide encouragement on their bike on the trail.
Imagery of Herb Tranter (grandfather marathoning great) at mile 20 and Dick / Ricky Hoyt (from the Youtube video "I CAN") in the finishing stretch was immensely powerful and intense. Despite only having 1 hour training each day, I was running really strong until mile 17-18... then "my legs fell off!" This is why I am a PST coach - to instill neurolinguistic programming into your mind so you can aggressively flee from negative thought and thrive towards your goal!

LIFE Lessons

Efficacy: to prove to yourself you can achieve anything you can dream of (even if it comes 12 years pass due; ie: Australia 1999 - I was a semi-pro with creative avoidance)
Role model: to live the role as a fitness professional, with life balance - a coach who can!
Team work: we could not have achieved this without great parents, a family triathlon and positive people!

1 comment: