Thursday, September 29, 2011

2012 Goals, Ironman training & 5k race report

On September 11th, 2011, (10th anniversary 9-11) I decided it was time to "hit the red line". The Springbank 5k hosted by London Honda, was a large field of competitive cross-country/track club runners and some strong Masters (40+) and sub-Masters (35+). This race functioned to satisfy a deep craving, similar to eating a dessert one dreamt of for many months!

Overall Results:

1) Shane Roberts - 16:42
2) Scott Lalonde - 16:59
3) Rob Tranter - 17:05

At the turn-around both Shane and Scott were out of grasp (up 15 seconds), and I had 2 London Runners (club team) on my shoulder (one of them right to the end!). In this challenging topography of undulating hills, I managed to pull Scott back (up 6 seconds) by the finish with a perfectly timed 600 meter progressive kick. My splits at the mid-point (2.5k, 8:33) and the finish (8:32) demonstrated that I ran to my potential with the haphazard training I accumulated for this event. Running by feel and only one split was perfect for me as I stayed in the zone "flow" I needed to focus on the competitors and a personal best time for a hilly 5k.

My mission for any race is to collect raw performance data; mental and physical. KINtellifit philosophy believes "you can't improve what you can't measure". I haven't been preparing optimally for this race, but the enjoyment factor is always HIGH as I feel I am at my best in "red line endurance" events; a sweet, brief (16 minutes in-shape) type of speed-endurance followed by exultation at the finish line.

My current goal is to complete the Ironman on October 22 in Clermont, Florida with my cousin Chad. However, this event is about 40 times longer in duration (10.5-11.0 hours), and therefore does not come close to preparing the body for "lactate saturation satisfaction". Furthermore, I am now "crash-training" for this pinnacle: swimming (visualization, strength 1-2x/wk and 2 actual swims), cycling (a simulation ride in the final month; but only 100k) and running (4 simulations in the final month, up to 35-37k).

Good luck in your goals. Be Elite.

No comments:

Post a Comment