Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Road to Europe

Jason Loutitt (image: 100k worlds) was 2nd at World Trail Championships in 2011
The road to Europe began on July 7, 2012.  I completed the CVC 50 - The Creemore Vertical Challenge 50k (near Collingwood) and loved my experience.  The mud, mountains and miles brought me to my roots as a person and athlete.  I placed 2nd in just over 4 hours traversing up and down the muddy Niagara Escarpment and through the river crossings.  However, I did not expect to be told I had broken the course record with Corey Smith (6 min. ahead) and that I was short-listed for the ACU National Team (Association of Canadian Ultramarathoners).  Like the Ironman last October, I learned how hard I can push when the body breaks down.  This mental strength has been the key to my job managing people (staff and students) to hold themselves to a high standard of performance. 
 
This past weekend (Sept. 9, 2012) I experienced my first race since the CVC 50.  It was the London springbank half marathon where I completed the 21.1k in 1h:20m and finished in 11th.  The 3:47/km pace was much quicker than the 4:30/km pace I hope to hold on October 20th in the DPR trail 50-mile race in Chicago, but it was needed to "wake up the legs" with speed.  The Chicago race will present the perfect scenario to qualify for the ACU National Team and secure a travel grant to the World Trail Championship in North Wales on July 6, 2013.  My last key race / training session to prepare myself will by the Run for Heros marathon in Amherstburg on September 23.  My goal time is 2:48 for the 42.2k road race with my family cheering me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment