Monday, June 27, 2011

Half Ironman Finisher

Welland Half Ironman, June 26, 20011.

2k swim: 35:30 - very pleased, considering this was my 2nd swim in the past few years. My last triathlon (actually a quadrathlon, with kayaking added) was 7 years ago in Halifax, so the wetsuit served me well. Took my time in the transitions to put on socks, put on GPS, stock my nutrition and stretch hip.

90k bike: 2:32 - very happy, considering I challenged myself with no aero advantages (triathlon geometry, tri-bars, race wheels, aero helmet etc). 35.5 km/hr average speed took a lot of willpower to negative split (first 30k moderate, next 30k moderate-hard and last 30k full throttle into the wind).

21.1k run: 1:32 - again, quite pleased, considering I just started running 6 weeks ago. A slow start just under 5m/k pace then 4:45/k, 4:30/k, then held steady 7k - 12k @ 4:20- 4:25/k then paced with the only runner to almost pass me @ 4:15/k. Dropped him and picked off a few other names in the last 2k holding 3:40 /k and finally a great 250m sprint to the finish at 1500m pace.

Blistered, black big toe nails, achy and feeling all-around slow today, but totally worth the experience! 4 hours and 48 minutes (35th overall of 500) not bad for my first triathlon in 7 years!

Hilary enjoyed wine tours @ Southwood and Hillebrand. Niagara-on-the-lake is a gorgeous town.

Thank you for your support TEAM MEDIX FITNESS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment